After an extended gestation period, legendary underground music journalist and A&R man Mike Gitter’s xXx Fanzine (1983-1988) Hardcore & Punk in the Eighties is almost upon us — and the epic amalgamation of revolutionary history, hard-won contemporary wisdom, and vivifying sound promises to be well worth the wait.
“Over nearly four years the xXx book blossomed into something a lot more weighty than just a collection of re-printed interviews and reviews from a well-regarded 80’s hardcore zine,” Gitter tells Decibel of the tome which also brings in new interviews with “musical prime-movers” such as Ian MacKaye, Keith Morris and members of Agnostic Front, Bad Brains and Cro-Mags to provide added depth and context. “It became a snapshot of some seismic changes in underground music — everything from Black Flag’s creepy-crawl into the sounds of bands like the Melvins and Soundgarden, the punk-metal crossover, the straight-edge stomp of the youth crew to weighty personas like Rollins, Danzig, Mascis and Mould putting their footprints deep into the mainstream-to-come. Really, punk’s season of soul-searching.”
“[Nomads are] a great L.A. band that plays with passion and fury, [waving] the flag for a time when punk and hardcore were not mutually exclusive,” Gitter says.
Yet despite already locking down the “required reading” end of things, Gitter & Co. further sweeten the pot by tossing a crazy nineteen song covers comp into the mix featuring Tombs’ take on Samhain, American Nightmare knocking out a Cro-Mags jam, Shai Hulud channeling Raw Power, Voivod reinterpreting Die Kreuzen, and — exclusively streaming via Decibel Magazine — a revelatory melding of Crucifix’ “How, When, Where” and Agnostic Front’s “The Eliminator” courtesy Nomads. Cover art and official tracklisting for the Still Having Their Say Compilation can be found below.
1. Strife - Who Are You? (Void)
2. Done Dying - Blending In (Government Issue)
3. Letlive - Fix Me (Black Flag)
4. Trial - Money (Embrace)
5. H2O - Safe (Dag Nasty)
6. Nomads - How When Where / The Eliminator (Cruxifix / Agnostic Front)
7. Walter Schriefels - Society Suckers (Agnostic Front)
8. Tombs - Kiss Of Steel (Samhain)
9. Voivod - Man In The Trees (Die Kreuzen)
10. Aeges - Hungry Child (Corrosion Of Conformity)
11. Last Light - A Wish To Dream (Uniform Choice)
12. Fuck You Pay Me - Religious Wars (Subhumans)
13. Jesse Leech - Salad Days (Minor Threat)
14. Shai Hulud - Raw Power (Raw Power)
15. True Rivals - Coolidge (Descendents)
16. Fu Manchu - When The Shit Hits The Fan (Circle Jerks)
17. Gallows - The Possibility Of Life's Destruction (Discharge)
18. American Nightmare - It's The Limit (Cro-Mags)
19. Riverboat Gamblers - Hate The Police (The Dicks)