xXx Presents "Still Having Their Say: A Compilation" #B9R246
Release Date: 11/10/2017
xXx Fanzine (1983-1988) Hardcore & Punk in the Eighties isn’t a mere collection of articles, reviews and photographs from one of Hardcore America’s best-known fanzines - it’s a chronicle of punk’s evolution in the 80’s; a story of music and ideologies in motion. xXX’s story picks up while the first wave of hardcore was in full swing. Major players including Minor Threat had already released landmark records and bands were loading up station wagons to play now infamous venues like The Channel, A7 or D.C. Space.
While based in Boston, xXx’s main writer and editor, Mike Gitter, not only concentrated on his own city’s burgeoning scene, spear-headed by bands like SS Decontrol and D.Y.S., but looked to other states and countries for xXx’s reportage. This hardcover, 11"x11", 288-page book documents a time when hardcore and punk were not mutually exclusive and bands and cities had a chance to develop their own diverse and strident sounds.
This creative ethos and aural zeitgeist is literally spelt out on the 19-song compilation that’s included with xXx Fanzine, with either download card or limited edition 12inch; a wide variety of current hardcore, punk and hard music luminaries including Strife, letlive., Fu Manchu and The Riverboat Gamblers contributed their interpretations to some of the most influential songs to come from xXx’s original era.
Now, in addition to reproducing (and restoring) countless interviews and pages from the ‘zine itself, xXx Fanzine re-interviews countless bands and musical prime-movers including Ian MacKaye, Keith Morris and members of Agnostic Front, Bad Brains and Cro-Mags to give the book a rare ‘then and now’ perspective. xXx Fanzine (1983-1988), Hardcore & Punk in the Eighties isn’t merely a look back at hardcore’s salad days, but a unique look at how punk’s music and message shook the mainstream itself.
xXx Fanzine (1983-1988) Hardcore & Punk in the Eighties features:
Minor Threat, Misfits, Necros, Circle Jerks, Suicidal Tendencies, Husker Du, Jerry’s Kids, Black Flag, D.O.A., G.B.H, Void, Negative Approach, 7 Seconds, D.Y.S., Scream, Metallica, Corrosion of Conformity, Minutemen, The Exploited, Anthrax, Subhumans, Dead Kennedys, SSD, Henry Rollins, Descendents, Bad Brains, Youth of Today, Motorhead, Dag Nasty, Snapshot, Samhain, Agnostic Front, Cro-Mags, Bad Religion, Fugazi, and more…
1. Strife - Who Are You? (Void)
2. Done Dying - Blending In (Government Issue)
3. Letlive - Fix Me (Black Flag)
4. Trial - Money (Embrace)
5. H2O - Safe (Dag Nasty)
6. Nomads - How When Where / The Eliminator (Cruxifix / Agnostic Front)
7. Walter Schriefels - Society Suckers (Agnostic Front)
8. Tombs - Kiss Of Steel (Samhain)
9. Voivod - Man In The Trees (Die Kreuzen)
10. Aeges - Hungry Child (Corrosion Of Conformity)
11. Last Light - A Wish To Dream (Uniform Choice)
12. Fuck You Pay Me - Religious Wars (Subhumans)
13. Jesse Leech - Salad Days (Minor Threat)
14. Shai Hulud - Raw Power (Raw Power)
15. True Rivals - Coolidge (Descendents)
16. Fu Manchu - When The Shit Hits The Fan (Circle Jerks)
17. Gallows - The Possibility Of Life's Destruction (Discharge)
18. American Nightmare - It's The Limit (Cro-Mags)
19. Riverboat Gamblers - Hate The Police (The Dicks)